shift-enter vs new line   - TallSurgeon - 08/03/2020 05:54 PM  
 shift-enter vs new line   - Alan Cantor - 08/03/2020 11:43 PM  
 shift-enter vs new line   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/04/2020 01:02 AM  
 shift-enter vs new line   - R. Wilke - 08/04/2020 04:29 AM  
Keyword
 08/03/2020 04:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TallSurgeon

When I say "new line" I get greater spacing on the next line, compared to when I say shift-enter (which is the way I normally make a new ine, before I started using DNS).

Why the difference?

Thanks.

Louis Galia

08/03/2020 05:47 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

New line is like hitting Enter and starts a new paragraph. Shift enter is a line break in the same paragraph.

There is no difference in text editors. The only places there is a difference are word processors or html viewers or any application that tries to format or style a paragraph.

Sounds like you are noticing paragraph spacing with new-line.

Btw, new paragraph is just two enters so puts a blank line in for paragraph spacing.  In word processors this can look off.

Hth,

-------------------------

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

08/03/2020 05:54 PM

TallSurgeon

Very clear response.

Thank you.

08/03/2020 11:43 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

In Microsoft Word (and many other word processors and text editors), saying "press shift enter" is not the same as saying "new line." The "new line" command is the same as pressing the Enter key. Shift + Enter is a "soft line break" instead of a "hard line break."

A soft break creates a new line; but the new line is part of the preceding paragraph (or list). You can insert soft line breaks as many times as you like, but the resulting lines are considered part of the paragraph above it rather than the start of a new paragraph.

One way to demonstrate the difference between hard and soft line breaks is to create the first item in a bullet list. At the end of the first bulleted line, press Enter once. The resulting line will be formatted as a bullet point.

Then press Enter twice. Bullet formatting will turn off. If you continue pressing Enter, and bullet formatting will remain off.

The rule: press Enter once to start the next bullet point, and twice to turn off bullet points.

Now, create the first item of a new bullet list, but at the end of the line, press "Shift + Enter" three or four times (or as many times as you want.) Note that bullets don't appear, but you may notice that the indenting of the previous bullet point has been inherited. That's because the lines you are creating are still part of the paragraph that is formatted as bullets.

Then press Enter. The next line will be bulleted, as Word considers the preceding lines generated by Shift + Enter as part of the paragraph formatted as a bullet point. Then press Enter a second time, and bullet formatting will turn off.

08/04/2020 01:02 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We hate this is much as you do. Fortunately you have a couple of solutions and your KnowBrainer utility.

1. If you say Start Line or Start Paragraph you will see the spacing you want. Additionally, new paragraph doesn't work in some browsers on some sites. When you save your message, the paragraphs wind up squished together. Once again, not a problem with the Start Line command. You can even deploy the Start Line command from the middle of a paragraph. Your cursor does not need to be at the end of the paragraph like Dragon's new paragraph does. If you think we are cooking with gas now, wait until you see #2 because Start Line is so 2019.

2. No need to settle for Start Line when you can kick it up another notch with your KnowBrainer Line <dictation> and P
aragraph  <dictation> commands. Example: Place your cursor in the middle of a paragraph and say Line <you will have to pry my 31 flavors Jamocha almond fudge sundae from my cold dead fingers punk> which will move your cursor to the end of the paragraph, press {Shift+Enter} and type You will have to pry my 31 flavors Jamocha almond fudge sundae from my cold dead fingers punk. Also note that the 1st word is will appear capitalized; unlike Dragon's anemic new line command and... now you know.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/04/2020 04:29 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Well, internally, "new line" sends \r\n (CR-LF, carriage return and line feed) to the application, and "new paragraph" does that twice, and it depends on the editor how this is interpreted.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

Statistics
31794 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 645 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 646 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.