KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Creating several new "go to [website]" commands
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/23/2020 08:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Creating several new "go to [website]" commands   - brooklyn cabin - 09/23/2020 08:58 PM  
 Creating several new "go to [website]" commands   - Mphillipson - 09/24/2020 07:55 AM  
 Creating several new "go to [website]" commands   - Edgar - 09/24/2020 10:44 AM  
 Creating several new "go to [website]" commands   - brooklyn cabin - 09/29/2020 01:42 PM  
 Creating several new   - Edgar - 09/29/2020 03:02 PM  
 Creating several new   - Mphillipson - 09/29/2020 04:11 PM  
 Creating several new "go to [website]" commands   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/29/2020 09:27 PM  
 Creating several new "go to [website]" commands   - PG LTU - 09/30/2020 02:33 AM  
Keyword
 09/23/2020 08:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
brooklyn cabin
Top-Tier Member

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember and can't find how to create simple commands that would take me from any application to specific websites. I've been long spoiled by Lunis and KB commands where I could simply say "go to Gmail" etc.

There are some extremely long URLs that I need to go to every day now for my daughter's remote learning and I would like to create a simple command that takes me there. I tried looking in the KB Command Browser to find the script for "go to [website]" but I couldn't find the command.

How do I open Microsoft edge browser and paste the URL into the address bar? Sorry for such a basic question.

Thanks,
Dan

-------------------------

09/24/2020 07:55 AM

Author Icon
Mphillipson
Top-Tier Member

09/24/2020 10:44 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Mark’s script should work just fine but there are two caveats:
1) it assumes that Microsoft Edge is your default web browser
2) SendKeys is restricted in the number of characters that it will allow in the string that it sends.

Additionally, there is a coding enhancement which might be considered - even after one of those "If" statements triggers an appropriate response all of the rest of the following "If" statements are uselessly evaluated. Probably the easiest solution would be to use "ElseIf":
If… Then…
ElseIf… Then…
ElseIf… Then…
Else…

Another option would be to use a "Select Case" construction:   
Dim
schoolURL As String

Select Case ListVar1
      Case "math"
         schoolURL = "the actual math URL string here"
      Case "history"
         schoolURL = "the actual history URL string here"
      ' other cases as necessary
      Case Else' this might not be necessary
         TTSPlayString "unrecognized URL"
         Exit All
   End Select
   ShellExecute schoolURL

In the case that your URL is too long for SendKeys you might need to build the ShellExecute statement using multiple strings:

Dim schoolURL, secondPartURL As String

secondPartURL = String.Empty()
   Select Case ListVar1
      Case "math"
         schoolURL = "the first part of the URL string here"
         secondPartURL = "the rest of the URL string here"
      Case "history"
         schoolURL = "the actual history URL string here"
      ' other cases as necessary
      Case Else' this might not be necessary
         TTSPlayString "unrecognized URL"
         Exit All
   End Select
   ShellExecute schoolURL & secondPartURL

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

09/29/2020 01:42 PM

Author Icon
brooklyn cabin
Top-Tier Member

Thank you, Mark and Edgar for providing such detailed replies.

Could you tell me where I actually can find the command in order to edit it? I couldn't seem to access it through KB sidebar? Do I need to dig around in Windows Explorer files?

Thanks again.

Dan

09/29/2020 03:02 PM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Since you posted this in the KnowBrainer Commands board I'm assuming you're looking for a KnowBrainer command not a Dragon command. Given that the KnowBrainer commands change constantly, and that recently Lunis has removed many of them, it's hard to tell exactly what the name of the command would be on your system (if you even have such command on your system). Open KnowBrainer's sidebar by saying "show sidebar"; it opens displaying all of the Global commands, look for ones that starts with "Go". Open them by double-clicking on each one looking for the code in question. If there are none, open your web browser (make sure it has focus) then click the "Application & Window" tab on the KnowBrainer Sidebar (this will be easiest if both your web browser and the Sidebar are sized so that both are visible). Again, look for ones that starts with "Go" and open them. If, failing to find one you're looking for, you need to create a new command, post again if you need help doing so.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

09/29/2020 04:11 PM

Author Icon
Mphillipson
Top-Tier Member

As per my screenshot, if the KnowBrainer command has been disabled, I don't think it will show in the sidebar. You would have to go in and enable it.

Also in might not be there if you've updated your KnowBrainer commands or you may have deleted it.

If you do need to recreate it all information is there in the screenshot.

Thanks Mark

Dragon Professional Advanced Scripting/KnowBrainer Scripts
Video Examples of Coding by Voice

09/29/2020 09:27 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Only 4 KnowBrainer commands are currently disabled and they are 6 down from the top of the global commands. You can now enable/disable any command by selecting it and saying Disable or Enable.

The Go To commands are now browser specific and use artificial intelligence. You would not want to edit these commands. It would be best to construct this type of command from scratch. Example:

Name: Find My Ip Address

Sub Main
ShellExecute "http://dynupdate.no-ip.com/ip.php"
End Sub

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/30/2020 02:33 AM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

If you are willing to go outside of KB, I know nothing faster than this one-liner DVC command, "go to [website]":

ShellExecute Mid$(_arg1, 0, Instr(_arg1,"\")-1)

Where the [website] list is of the form "URL"\name (the URL enclosed in quotes), e.g.:

"http://dynupdate.no-ip.com/ip.php"\Find My Ip Address
"http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=34903&highlight_key=y"\test site

If the website is too long, try a link-shortener as described at the bottom here: https://bit.ly/3n6bmlG

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

Statistics
31789 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 605 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 607 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.