losing created KB commands   - Anandits - 10/15/2019 11:38 PM  
 losing created KB commands   - Edgar - 10/16/2019 10:25 AM  
Keyword
 10/15/2019 02:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Anandits
Power Member

It happens too often: I create a new KB command (often with quite a bit of trial and error and searching on this forum, as I am no programmer), I use it happily for a day, I even make a back up of KB just in case - and the next day, the command doesn't exist anymore. 

I look for it in all tabs, I search for it in the KB file - it just isn't there anymore. 

i have to start over again! 

This makes me lose so much time! Any idea why this happens? 

10/15/2019 10:51 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Under the circumstances, we certainly understand your frustration and in most situations, it's a rare circumstance but it is something we will be looking into for the next release. As for now, you mentioned that you are also creating backup copies of your commands. We are assuming that you have access to those backups? We don't want you to go back to scratch either.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

10/15/2019 11:38 PM

Author Icon
Anandits
Power Member

Yes, I do have backups; and most of the commands I created are still there.
I got into the habit of writing down in a notebook every new command I create, and I should have the discipline to also take screenshots of their code. Especially of the more complicated ones, so that I can more quickly replicate them if I lose them.
I am very happy with the program overall!
 10/16/2019 10:25 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Anandits I got into the habit of writing down in a notebook every new command I create, and I should have the discipline to also take screenshots of their code.

Before exiting the Command Editor by saving, say "select all", pause then "copy that", another pause then "open notepad"; wait for Notepad to open then say "paste that". Save the resulting text file (say "click file", pause then "save as" - Windows File Explorer is not very speech friendly, you might need to navigate to the appropriate folder by hand). This will save you writing down and/or taking screenshots <grin>. If you lose the new code, you can easily re-create it from the text file by selecting all, copying, then pasting into the command editor.

Are you aware that KnowBrainer keeps backups of its command files? The following location contains the original and a backup:

C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\KnowBrainer\KnowBrainerCommands

where USER_NAME is replaced by your user name and \AppData\ is a Hidden folder. The working version:

MyKBCommands.XML

and it's automatic backup:

MyKBCommands_backup.XML

can be found there. KnowBrainer also creates incremental backups (on my system every 5 times the original changes); it's located in a folder within that same \KnowBrainerCommands\ folder:

C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\KnowBrainer\KnowBrainerCommands\AutomaticBackups

this contains fairly small files and I have very large hard drives so I don't worry about them building up too much (I'm currently at: MyKBCommands_1460.XML) and the files run about 1300 kB. If you notice that something is missing try opening these files in a text editor and searching them for the missing command - don't modify or use these files directly just use them to copy the code fragments which you have lost. The resulting copied code fragment can be pasted directly into the KnowBrainer Command Editor.

-------------------------

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Word 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card

Statistics
31556 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 317 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 319 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.