Knowbrainer Scripts Management   - Edgar - 05/06/2019 10:52 AM  
Keyword
 05/04/2019 10:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mphillipson
Advanced Member

Hello,

I find it a bit of a challenge to keep track of my KnowBrainer scripts.

To this end I have written a Desktop, Windows Forms Application to enable filtering by all the text fields.

I've made this available for anybody who wants to to install it, if they think this will be useful.

It can be installed from the following URL:

Setup.msi

Any feedback on its use is welcome via the forum.

Please click below for an example of a screenshot:

https://www.screencast.com/t/27HdwlmnM3Jj

When the application opens it should open a file open dialog, where you can select a KnowBrainer XML Script File. 

I would advise you copy your KnowBrainer script file first, then use the copy instead of selecting the actual live file.  This will avoid any conflicts with the Knowbrainer application.

-------------------------

Thanks Mark

Dragon Professional Advanced Scripting/KnowBrainer Scripts
Video Examples of Coding by Voice

05/04/2019 11:27 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Mphillipson It can be installed from the following URL: Setup.msi Any feedback on its use is welcome via the forum.

The image looked interesting so I tried to install your application. I'm running Windows 10 and your setup.MSI is trying to install something on the C:\ drive in a folder which does not allow access (I think it has something to do with the Windows 7-style "Start Menu"; the error reads: "An error occurred while attempting to create the directory:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu"
recently other applications are having the same problem (e.g. paint.net).

I'd be happy to give your application a look if you can provided in some fashion other than this MSI file (or modify the MSI so that it does not try to populate the Windows 10-style "Start Menu").

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Word 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card

05/04/2019 12:52 PM

Author Icon
Mphillipson
Advanced Member

I have it installed on Windows 10 without any problems. Maybe it's a permission thing? I guess you could try running the setup MSI as an administrator?

The source code is freely available to download from github if you prefer:

Click Here

Thanks Mark

05/04/2019 03:00 PM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Mphillipson  […] you could try running the setup MSI as an administrator? […] download from github

I think I've tried everything to avoid the permissions issue; this is a fairly new Windows 10 problem and I have seen numerous complaints of others with the same issue on other forums.

I downloaded the source code but it fails to compile single error:

Error Could not find file 'MyCommands.xml'

I suspect that this might be a test copy of your MyKBCommands.XML file. I rarely program in Visual Basic (or any Visual … language); I tried doing a global search for "MyCommands.xml" and got this:
Find all "MyCommands.xml", Subfolders, Find Results 2, Entire Solution, "*.c;*.cpp;*.h;*.rc;*.cs;*.vb"
  D:\SearchDragonCommands-master\MyCommands_Browser.vb(178):            stringFile = My.Settings.DragonXMLCommandsFileLocation '& IIf(My.Settings.DragonXMLCommandsFileLocation.Substring(My.Settings.DragonXMLCommandsFileLocation.Length - 1, 1) = "\", "", "\") & "MyCommands.xml"
  D:\SearchDragonCommands-master\MyCommands_Browser.vb(180):            stringFile = System.Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments) & "\MyCommands.xml"
  D:\SearchDragonCommands-master\MyCommands_Browser.vb(234):        'Dim MyCommands As XDocument=XDocument.Load(CurDir & "\MyCommands.xml"
  D:\SearchDragonCommands-master\MyCommands_Browser.vb(245):        Dim MyCommands As XElement = XElement.Load(System.Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments) & "\MyCommands.xml")
  D:\SearchDragonCommands-master\MyCommands_Browser.vb(345):        'Dim MyCommands As XElement = XElement.Load(GetAppFolder() & "\MyCommands.xml")
  D:\SearchDragonCommands-master\MyCommands_Browser.vb(346):        ''Dim MyCommands As XDocument=XDocument.Load(CurDir & "\MyCommands.xml"
  D:\SearchDragonCommands-master\MyCommands_Browser.vb(376):        Dim MyCommands As XElement = XElement.Load(System.Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments) & "\MyCommands.xml")
  D:\SearchDragonCommands-master\Options.Designer.vb(123):    "of MyCommands.xml"
  Matching lines: 8    Matching files: 2    Total files searched: 23

I decided it was not worth my time to dig through this and figure out where to place a dummy KnowBrainer commands file!

I ran the existing application from its binary folder. The first thing that comes up is an unhandled exception; bypassing this with the "Continue" button results in the application launching. When the application launches the resulting GUI is dark red text on a black background and virtually impossible to read. I've attached screen grabs.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Word 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card

05/05/2019 03:38 AM

Author Icon
Mphillipson
Advanced Member

Hi Edgar,

I'm a little confused how you managed to get to a different project in a different programming language.

The one you refer to is written in Visual Basic.net and is used to show the scripts from Advanced Scripting and relies on SQL Server database that only resides on my computer.

Whereas the project I have created more recently is written in C#. The project itself is called Browse Scripts. Whereas the solution is called Speech Recognition Helpers.

You should be able to download the project which is included with a solution file, which contains multiple projects, from the following link:

Repository on github

Also I have uploaded the EXE compiled version directly in case that will work:

compiled version

Thanks Mark

05/05/2019 08:44 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Mark thank you for doing this, it is a very neat companion to KnowBrainer. When developing I took the decision to avoid a Command Browser for the sake of simplicity and hence we settled on the sidebar with some manage command facilities. However this XML parser/Command Browser you have created gives a very nice view of the breakdown of the XML commands file.

Edgar I seriously think you have an issue with your system if it is coming up with those errors because Mark's executable should run fine under Windows 10 other than the usual Windows defender smart screen which you can bypass by simply clicking on more info. Alternatively you have some protection software running causing the issue. I tried running it on several systems and it worked perfectly on each one other than the defender smart screen which is what I would expect for a non-digitally signed application. I can digitally sign a copy of the executable for you, if Mark is okay with that, and that may resolve your issue.

05/05/2019 10:48 AM

Author Icon
Mphillipson
Advanced Member

Hello Lindsay,

Thank you for your kind words :-)

Yes I have no problems with you signing it if it helps Edgar out or anybody else.

Thanks Mark

05/05/2019 07:11 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We were able to install your utility but all of the folders were empty. However, we have created a KnowBrainer Quickstart that includes our most commonly used 57 commands. We hope to add additional organization in the 2020 release.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

02/18/2020 04:03 PM

Author Icon
Mphillipson
Advanced Member

I have updated the Browse Scripts application.

It can now be launched from a voice command.

This can be useful when you cannot remember the exact phrase for a script, just one or two words.

For example you can say:

Browse Scripts delete

If you wanted to search for all scripts with delete in the name or list.

More information can be seen at the following link, along with instructions on how to install. Also the source code is available and is all open source.

https://github.com/Mark-Phillipson/DragonScripts/wiki/Browse-KnowBrainer-Scripts

Thanks Mark

05/05/2019 09:49 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

I had no problems getting past the Windows Defender protection. I am running Norton 365 which is probably the cause of these issues. I grabbed both of Mark's new downloads but have a full day scheduled today so probably will not try them until tomorrow.

-Edgar

05/06/2019 10:52 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

I got the source to compile and run. I'm right in the middle of a very busy spring concert season - the next 10 days are hectic! I will look more closely when things settle down.

-Edgar

Statistics
31556 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 359 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 359 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.