DNS integration with Allscripts   - macgadget - 05/28/2009 10:59 AM  
 DNS integration with Allscripts   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/28/2009 03:27 PM  
 DNS integration with Allscripts   - hbreder - 05/29/2009 03:06 AM  
 DNS integration with Allscripts   - smeyer52 - 03/13/2009 05:23 AM  
Keyword
 03/11/2009 08:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

hbreder

Our practice installed Allscripts Touchworks as our EHR system. Although Allscripts claims DNS dictation integration, this has not worked out in my experience: Dictating into a text field or non-structured note results in bad formating errors, i.e. starting a sentence with lower case letters, capitalizing an inserted word and frequently leaving no space between words and sentences. I tried the DNS text box, placing it into a free text field, which worked well but failed utterly when I tried to transfer the text to the field -- my dictation simply vanished and was nowhere to be found. And stupid me I couldn't believe and tried it several times, with the same results. 

The same thing happens if instead of saying "new paragraph" I hit the enter key; that too will make everything vanish. 

I am wondering, has anyone else had similar results; or did I miss a crucial step along the way? 

We are using Allscripts version 11 on a Fujitsu tablet, Windows XP, input with Speechmike. 

03/11/2009 09:58 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Our 1st recommendation would be to contact the Allscipts Touchworks customer support at 888-426-7226 since they advertise their product as being NaturallySpeaking friendly. We suspect that the NaturallySpeaking plug-in has been ejected but to be certain, make sure that you launch NaturallySpeaking before Touchworks. All of your formatting issues are caused by a lack of Select-&-Say.

Our 2nd recommendation would be to change your Dictation Box options so that the data is stored in Windows clipboard. In the event that the Dictation Box fails to drop your dictation into Touchworks, it will still be available on the clipboard, so that you can manually paste the information. Note that depending on which version of KnowBrainer you are using, this is also done automatically. We think the KnowBrainer 2007 command might be
Paste All (we can't be sure) but the KnowBrainer 2008 command is Transfer. KnowBrainer 2008 also utilizes Notepad.

Our 3rd recommendation would be to upgrade to the Dragon Medical 10 Upgrade while it is still on sale.

-------------------------

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

03/13/2009 05:27 AM

hbreder

Thanks, Lunis. I contacted Allscripts support but was told I had to go through our partnership's Allscripts contacts. I am waiting for a response. In the meantime I watched the Dragon demo on the Allscripts knowledge base site and realized that our version is missing a button "Text" which when clicked lights up the green Select and Say button. The only way right now to transfer text is to use the Windows copy and paste commands. That is fine for larger text fields but gets old fast for multiple small fields. Dragon 10, I was told, does not work with our copy of Allscripts. Anyway, I quite happy with Dragon 9. Thanks again for your advice.
 05/28/2009 10:59 AM

macgadget

Hello, 

we are in the process of rolling out allscripts touchworks and will be using DNS (in the fall)...has this issue been resolved? 

Jon 

05/28/2009 03:27 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the KnowBrainer Forums

Considering the importance of speech recognition in EMR applications; not to mention the fact that there are about 30 optional DNS 10 fully supported EMR products to choose from, it's in Allscripts best interest to get on the ball. If no one responds to your question, you might want to consider calling Allscripts
888-426-7226 directly but be prepared to deal with voicemail and one of those “we will call you back” messages.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

05/29/2009 03:06 AM

hbreder

Not yet. I did get one email response from Allscripts, asking whether I had been able to resolve the issue --- with absolute no suggestion how I should go about it. I again described the lack of Select and Say function to the contact person but have not heard back. I suspect you have to buy the dictation module for it work, which our group did not. We also found out that for every 15 min of pt time you have to spend another 15 min typing into the text fields or running through templates. We hope that in the end it will some how pay off, but do not anticipate any great time savings. Another group in our partnership has been using it for almost a year now and are still struggling with the issue of taking too much time for charting. Much of the workload has shifted from ancillary personnel to the provider. For example we now no longer use a transscriptionist, but do the typing ourselves. I never realized when going through medical school and residency that fast touch typing would be such a vital skill!! Sorry to go on like this..... hbreder, Internal Medicine
 03/13/2009 05:23 AM

smeyer52

Formatting issues similarly occurred in Cerner PowerChart.  I think it is more related to using a Citrix window, which PowerChart uses.  However, I never experienced any failures with Dictation Box.

I do not recommend my physicians dictate directly into PowerChart, although it almost works well.  Corrections has been problematic, with subsequent formatting errors after correcting.  I have not tested this since our upgrade last month to a newer Cerner version though.  Steve

Steve  // Dragon 10 Medical // Athlon Quad 2.2 ghz // 4GB RAM // Sennheiser ME3 with VXI USB sound card // PowerMic 2 // Win XP Pro // Cerner EMR // NextGen EMR
Statistics
28319 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 94 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 96 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.