Lock Dragon to an EMR application   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/10/2020 03:23 PM  
 Lock Dragon to an EMR application   - R. Wilke - 04/10/2020 03:53 PM  
 Lock Dragon to an EMR application   - dilligence - 03/12/2020 10:08 PM  
Keyword
 01/29/2020 12:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kbowrin

My radiologists currently use DMPE with our EMR application (locally installed on the PC) but will like the ability to click into another application specfically to look at images, make annotations etc. while dicating in the EMR. Currently they have to re-click into the EMR after looking at the viewer application to resume dictation. We tried using Dragon's Dictation Box for dictating but its formating is not quite compatible with the EMR formation. If Dragon could simply lock the EMR application so they can dictate while viewing/annotating the images would be helpful for their workflow. Is anyone aware of a way we can do this with Dragon? 

Thanks,

Kerry  

01/29/2020 03:52 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Programmatically, the sort of thing is possible with some amount of custom programming work. One of the problems is knowing the precise destination into which the dictation should be delivered. For example, it might not be easy programmatically to identify particular fields in the EMR application if the fields are unnamed and un-referenceable by code. Dragon knows which field to deliver dictation into because that field has the focus and the cursor in it. But if the focus is on the viewing application, Dragon has no way of knowing where to deliver the dictation. By default, it always delivers the dictation to where the focus and cursor insertion points are.

And the formatting issue sounds like you need to dictate precisely into the EMR software so that it can apply special formatting of some kind, which makes it more complex.

If formatting is not a showstopper issue, it would be much easier programmatically to define Notepad or Word as the locked and targeted application. Then, once dictation had been completed, the dictated text could be manually copied and pasted into the correct field(s) in the EMR. Your workflow would look something like this: open a blank Notepad or Word document; issue a command to define that document as the target of dictation; dictate something into it; switch to some other application and do some more dictation; repeat the dictation part until you're done; manually transfer the chunks of dictated words into the appropriate EMR fields.

I do something like this already, except that my case is the reverse of yours. I want to stay within the dictation target document (Word) while moving the pages up and down in the viewed (source) document without switching windows. Dragon delivers my dictation into the Word document in front of me, while I can page the other (transcript) document up and down. It works reasonably well and is much less hassle than switching windows all the time.

PS. Just thinking out loud - another possible option is to give them a separate laptop for dictation. Then they could dictate into it while looking at images on the main pc. There are lots of small form factor computers around these days if a laptop isn't right for you.

-------------------------

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones

01/29/2020 04:08 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Kerry, have a shot at DragonCapture (free 30 Days Trial) as per my signature below. If you remove the checkmark in "AutoPaste" all the dictation will go to the DragonCapture box while you are in the viewer application. Then, after switching back to the EMR, say "Paste Box" which will transfer the text collected in the box to the EMR.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

02/28/2020 09:58 PM

Author Icon
mwarddoc

Thumbs up on the DragonCapture, now using it for nearly a year and it is a huge help.

I do have a question for myself along those lines.

What is the capacity of DragonCapture, when dictating, and not doing automatic transfer of text? I've never driven it to handle large amounts of text.

Also, FWIW, DragonCapture works seamlessly in the Surface Pro X as well. I have not had a hiccup.

mwarddoc

02/29/2020 05:36 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Thumbs up on the Dragon Capture, now using it for nearly a year and it is a huge help.

Thank you for the encouragement. Yes, it has been about a year now since it was published.

I do have a question for myself along those lines.

What is the capacity of Dragon Capture, when dictating, and not doing automatic transfer of text? I've never driven it to handle large amounts of text.

My critics may accuse me of ginning this up, but it is perfect timing you are asking this now. I am in the process of finishing the next release, and redoing the "Edit Box" functionality, which had been flawed all along and about which I had received quite a few requests to admit, is the final item on the to-do list. Thing being that it took me a while, and more advanced research to finally figure out what it takes to get the "foreground activation love" reliably.

I believe that the next release should contain a few more interesting new features, such as:
- automated "Check for Updates" facility,
- rewrite of the voice commands implementation, making them more flexible and even a little faster, as well as straightening the overall workflow,
- enhanced text font facilities
- extended user and voice commands manuals, now as permanently updated PDF downloads.

It may take another week from now to wrap it up and publish it.

DragonCapture Homepage

03/12/2020 02:24 PM

mkweiss

is new dragoncapture ready yet? Is update free?

03/12/2020 02:55 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: mkweiss is new dragoncapture ready yet? Is update free?

The beta is ready, and may be replaced for another beta soon, but all updates will be free until the next major upgrade.

DragonCapture

DragonCapture Homepage

04/10/2020 11:42 AM

mppcarey
Top-Tier Member

What is the current build number for DragonCapture?

Dragon Medical Practice Edition 4.3; Dragon Capture, Speechproductivity & Knowbrainer 2017

04/10/2020 03:23 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We believe DragonCapture is currently Ver. 1.0.368 but note that another release is on the way and will install over the top of your existing utility. Development has been slightly delayed by a lack of toilet paper in Germany by COVID-19

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

04/10/2020 03:53 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt We believe DragonCapture is currently Ver. 1.0.368 but note that another release is on the way and will install over the top of your existing utility. Development has been slightly delayed by a lack of toilet paper in Germany by COVID-19

Even amidst the toilet paper shortage, you can always look up the latest release info here:

http://www.rwilke.de/dragoncapture/

DragonCapture Homepage

03/12/2020 10:08 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Kerry,

You may want to look into SP Pro which features the fast Advanced Dictation Box. Its formatting may be compatible with the EMR. You can make any SP box Translucent (10 levels) so there's no need to click into the target application (simply scroll it with your mouse wheel while dictating into the box). 

You can quickly place the box anywhere on the screen (you can even make it follow your mouse cursor), resize it, set the amount of translucency. All settings will be remembered next time you launch the box.

All SP boxes have the TRANSPORT feature which Transfers the text but keeps the box virtually open so you can simply keep on dictating. 

www.speechproductivity.eu 

SP 6 PRO - The Dragon Enhancement & Productivity Suite

Statistics
31795 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 960 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 960 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.