repeating first letter of text   - Kim oncology - 10/13/2011 11:55 AM  
 repeating first letter of text   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/13/2011 04:13 PM  
 repeating first letter of text   - jimweissman - 01/02/2013 07:26 PM  
Keyword
 09/17/2011 08:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Tmoore

DNS 10.1; KB2011; Windows 7 64 bit

If I dictate "Recent blood work..." I get rrecent blood work...

Thoughts to avoid appreciated.

Tom Moore

09/17/2011 09:07 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the KnowBrainer Forums

Does this problem occur in all applications or just 1, such as your EMR? If you're not certain, see if the problem is duplicatable in DragonPad or an application that is on your local machine. This sounds like a network issue but until we know more, we can't be certain.

-------------------------

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

12/08/2012 02:00 PM

drficho
Power Member

I get same thing with numbers when dictating into my electronic record EPIC

I Put in a separate post on this.

TF

09/18/2011 08:05 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Tom,

This is not atypical of dictating into a nonstandard window (i.e., a text window or text field that does not support Full Text Control (Select-and-Say)).

There are two problems with your post: (a) you don't specify anything about your hardware configuration (CPU make, model, speed, total amount of RAM and RAM speed, amount of either L2 or L3 cache, etc.), and (b) what application you're dictating into.

Perhaps if you provided us with this information we would be better able to assess why you may be having this particular problem.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: Simply powerful, powerfully simple

Getting technical support rule #1: When asking questions or describing problems, express yourself as if you were attempting to describe the Mona Lisa to a blind person.

09/18/2011 12:25 PM

Tmoore

DNS 10.1; KB2011; Windows 7 64 bit; 6 g ram

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model KT608AV-ABA d5000t
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q9450  @ 2.66GHz, 2667 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.21, 12/17/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 6.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.84 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.51 GB
Page File Space 6.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Dictating into EMR Epic 2009. Problem occurs only in certain areas of Epic.

thnks

Tom Moore

09/23/2011 10:06 AM

gabor5454
Power Member

I get very much the same thing dictating into Cerner FirstNet, accessed via Citrix. It only happens in some places, and I've always assumed it just had to do with some sort of network latency* or something like that – didn't seem like the sort of thing that can be fixed.

And yes, I am able to dictate into Cerner even though I'm using Dragon 11.5 premium, not medical – but because it doesn't have Select-and-Say and the problem noted above I tend to do my dictation into a more Dragon friendly Application (Word, WordPad, or DragonPad ) and cut-and-paste.

Ricky Gabor,

Using Dragon 11.5 premium, KnowBrainer medical 2011,Windows 7 64-bit, Lenovo Y460p  laptop with 8 MB RAM and and i7 processor, sennheiser MD431 II with andrea USB soundcard

*or perhaps the antimatter injectors in the warp field generators are out of phase – but IS won't let me go into the Jeffreys Tube to realign them. 

10/12/2011 04:12 PM

Kim oncology

XP Pro service pak 3, Intel Duo Core E8400, 3Ghz w/1.94Gb RAM.

Dragon Medical Enterprise v10.1.

EPIC EMR

I have a frustrating problem with using Dragon within the textboxes in Epic.  I find that it auto-capitalizes a word incorrectly such as when I have to go back to select the word to correct it or add a word in a sentence.  It also does not automatically put a space in between the added word and the next word in the sentence.  In a prior reply in this post,  there was mention of these boxes being a non-standard text box.  I found that I'd have to open a Dragon dictation box if I wanted a more accurate voice transcription and then having to "transfer text" into the EMR text box. 

Is there anyother way of using Dragon within what appears to be a non-standard window box allowing us to use the proper formatting features of Dragon?

10/12/2011 08:46 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the KnowBrainer Forums

Epic is probably not Select-&-Say enabled and this can produce a number of undesirable results. For example, if you dictate a phrase that ends in a period and then move your cursor to a different position, the 1st word of your next dictated phrase will begin with a capital letter because NaturallySpeaking remembers your last dictation as ending in a punctuation mark. Dragon Medical has no idea where your dictation appears in relation to other dictation in Epic. When dictating into a fully Select-&-Say enabled application such as Microsoft Word, DragonPad or even the Dictation Box, NaturallySpeaking always knows where your text is and that's why you don't run into spacing issues or punctuation problems.

The Dragon Dictation Box is a viable workaround but it requires a number of unnecessary steps. To perform this function utilizing the Dictation Box you would need to utilize the following 6 steps for every field.

1. Place your cursor in the appropriate Epic EMR field
2. Say
show dictation box
3. Dictate your text
4. Place the cursor in the field that you wish your dictation to be transferred to
5. Say
transfer here to paste your dictation
6. Tab your cursor to the next field and repeat the ENTIRE process

A better option would be to automate your workflow with a personalized command or use the KnowBrainer 2011
Transfer command. KnowBrainer utilizes NotePad because we found it to be a bit more stable. The 1st transfer dictation requires 4 steps but additional dictations only require 2 steps; as compared to the 6 steps you are currently using. Here's how the KnowBrainer command works:

1. Place your cursor in the appropriate Epic EMR field
2. Say
Start NotePad
3. Dictate your text and say
Transfer which will cut your text to the clipboard, close NotePad, paste your text into the appropriate Epic field, tab to the next Epic field and reopen NotePad so that you can repeat the process. From here on out, all you have to do is dictate your text and say Transfer. It is almost as efficient as dictating directly into Epic without having to rearrange or reformat text. Transfer is just 1 of approximately 11,000 time-saving KnowBrainer commands.

10/13/2011 11:55 AM

Kim oncology

Thanks Lunis.  That is exactly the workaround I'm using with Dragon's dictation box that you mentioned, except I've assigned hotkey buttons for the steps "Show Dictation  Box" and "Transfer text".  So that helps abit.  Our IT department has an exceptionally high security system and all of the computers, even the doctors, are extremly locked down.  I bought KnowBrainer 2011 but haven't been able to install it since our system has to review the software and approve it's installation!  We have over 600 physicians in the system but nobody had heard or ordered KnowBrainer yet!

10/13/2011 04:13 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Just say the word and we will send Guido over to have a chat with the fine folks in the IT department. He says he likes to get his hands dirty

01/02/2013 07:26 PM

jimweissman

Most versions of Epic are presented through Citrix, and Citrix takes away "Select and Say" in Dragon Medical (by not sending the Epic cursor location to Dragon). For those who have at least 25 providers using Dragon, switching from the individual version to the Network Edition (now called Dragon 360) solves the Citrix problem by adding a function called InSync, which sends the cursor information through Citrix to Dragon. Then it is possible to dictate directly into Epic text windows without using either the dictation box or Note Pad.

James Weissman, MD

jweissman@eaglemds.com

Statistics
28434 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 77 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 79 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.