KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Problem with Signal+Dragon Naturally Speaking on Windows
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/20/2020 05:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Problem with Signal+Dragon Naturally Speaking on Windows   - Mouryou - 03/20/2020 05:21 PM  
 Problem with Signal+Dragon Naturally Speaking on Windows   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/20/2020 08:09 PM  
 Problem with Signal+Dragon Naturally Speaking on Windows   - Stephan Kuepper - 03/23/2020 03:50 AM  
 Problem with Signal+Dragon Naturally Speaking on Windows   - Mouryou - 03/31/2020 08:41 AM  
Keyword
 03/20/2020 05:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mouryou

Due to health related issues, a friend of mine relies heavily upon Dragon Naturally Speaking to communicate with others via instant messengers using speech-to-text on the Windows 7 (or maybe 10) operating system

Until recently, Signal worked fine with Dragon Naturally Speaking. That has however changed a couple of weeks ago.

Now, Signal or should I say Dragon Naturally Speaking records the first message just fine, but as soon as she sends 1 message, Signal wont record any speech-to-text messages anymore and Dragon Naturally Speaking shows a message saying something like "Unable to record in this window".

To get Signal to work again, I believe closing andreopening Signal or Dragon Naturally Speaking works, but that is really a hassle.

Other instant messengers like for example "Wire" still work correctly.

Maybe someone here knows where the problem lies, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

03/20/2020 08:09 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Only Speech Recognition Forum

The term “NaturallySpeaking” was discontinued several versions ago. When you say “Dragon NaturallySpeaking” you're not telling us which Dragon product you are using. Perhaps you could ask your friend. Some examples include Dragon Premium 13, DPI 14 and DPI 15. There are many more but we figure 1 of those choices might nail it. Assuming your friend is using DPI 14 or 15, have her look at the DragonBar. When she attempts to dictate into a Dragon friendly application, like Word, DragonPad and Outlook, she should see a green • in the DragonBar; signifying Dragon friendliness. This means that Dragon not only knows where the words are but allows you to utilize Select-&-Say (select words by voice). We are unfamiliar with the Signal application but we bet dollars to donuts that it is not Dragon friendly. When dictating into a non-Dragon friendly application, you are playing a crapshoot. Sometimes it may work and other times it won't.

You will find a possible answer in the Quick Tips (button at the top of this page) when you search for “How to enable dictation”. If that doesn't work, consider trying a 30 day trial of DragonCapture which you will find in our signature tag Trial Downloads link, with other cool trials. DragonCapture forces Dragon dictation into non-Dragon friendly apps so you will never have to deal with that issue again.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/23/2020 03:50 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

I know it sounds funny but does the issue disappear when your friend starts Dragon by double-clicking natspeak.exe (as opposed to the desktop icon)? The file is typically located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Nuance\naturallyspeaking15\Program

Hope that helps, Stephan

-------------------------

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

03/31/2020 08:41 AM

Author Icon
Mouryou

Thank you Lunis Orcutt for your quick answer, and I apologize for my late response. She is using Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium 13.
Signal is an instant messenger type application, supposedly very secure and was or maybe still is recommended by Edward Snowden according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)#Reception

Thank you Stephan Kuepper for your suggestion. I will let you know if it helped once I tried it out.

Edit: It did not fix the problem @Stephan Kuepper

Statistics
31613 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 470 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 471 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.